Thursday, January 28, 2010

First day of class, as a commuter.

With the exception of going to the wrong room for Media Production (I should have known when the professor started talking about Anthropology), my first day of classes as a commuter went exceptionally well. On Thursdays, I have four out of my five classes - which might make it seem like a long day, which it is and it isn't. Yes, I do have to wake up at 5:30am and catch the 6:30am bus... but the fact that I only have class three days a week saves this from being a complete bust (on my part with the scheduling of my classes). My Philosophy teacher, Professor Kilivris, was completely down to earth - but also presented us with our first ice breaker of the day. The variety of favorite songs and films of the moment was, to be honest, quite baffling - ranging from "Hearing Damage" by Thom Yorke to "Superman" by Eminem, and Righteous Kill to (500) Days of Summer. I went with "Winter '05" by Ra Ra Riot as my current favorite song, although it is quite clearly not. I think I was just inspired to say it by the snow falling outside, and the fact that that season of that year seems to be, upon reflection, a pivotal year in my life. I guess my favorite song of the moment, that I only heard yesterday, would be "Odessa" by Caribou, which will be on their upcoming album Swim.

After Philosophy is when I began making mistakes, none too awful. First, I forgot my pea coat in my Philosophy classroom, so I had to run back there to get it. Then I went to the wrong room for my aforementioned Media Production course, so I arrived at the right classroom roughly twenty minutes late. My teacher gave me a syllabus, and a classmate from last semester, Ian, helped me log onto the Mac I chose in the computer lab. Our first assignment is an artist's statement - which seems pretty juvenile, but I guess I enjoy doing assignments like it... even though I know whatever I try and express will be a jumble of words which no one will understand.

After Media, I had a short break so I met up with Sasha. We went to the cart outside Hunter North and got bagels, and I got coffee. Note: From now on I am using my Sundance bottle for water - firstly so I do not have to pay for water all the time, secondly so I can reduce bottled water waste and contribute to saving the environment.

Next came Astronomy, wherein the teacher began teacher within the first ten minutes. This kind of bugged me because no one had a textbook already, and he did not exactly succeed in making me interested in Astronomy, as I was hoping. At least I have a friend in this class - don't know what I would do if I didn't. I'd probably fall asleep, and have no one to get the work from.

Then came another break before Introduction to Literature, with my Expository Writing teacher from last semester, Ms. Baish. During this break, I went with Colleen to Shakespeare & Co. and got all of my books, except for the edition for Macbeth I need that I ordered off Amazon. I also need to find out what textbook I need for American Government. My Astronomy textbook was $126.50. What a waste - but I shouldn't speak too soon.

Introduction to Literature was fun. We introduced ourselves and our favorite books - I said Death in Venice, even though I think Naked Lunch is probably my favorite. Actually, I really can't rank my top three - the third being Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. We ended the class by going over what a sonnet is, and then I quickly scurried out of the class to come home to my bed. Right now, I should get to work and begin my assignments - Plato reading, sonnet readings and responses, and Astronomy Chapter 1. Until next time... ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment