Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Adios, you who watched the sun go down, at the rail, by my side, smiling –

The New York Film Festival screenings completely took the life out of me. The ball smashing and clitoris cutting of Antichrist, the child abuse of The White Ribbon, the beauty of Penélope Cruz in Broken Embraces... it was thrilling. Still I think the Film Society of Lincoln Center needs to reboot the festival in a way, attendance seemed to be at almost at an all time low. I was so exhausted yesterday when I went to see Spike Jonze speak at the Apple Store in SoHo. Catherine Keener was there, but the sound system was very poor so it was difficult to make out what Jonze, Keener, and the crew of Where the Wild Things Are were saying. Neon Indian's Psychic Chasms was released today by Lefse Records. Pitchfork named it "Best New Music" and I love "Deadbeat Summer" so I believe there is a good chance I'd really enjoy it. I attempted to make scrambled eggs with a Mexican blend of cheeses and feta today, but when it finished cooking it had the consistency of risotto. At least the coffee I made in my French press was good. I finished Kerouac's Visions of Cody, finally. I think I'm going to go back to Pynchon's Gravity Rainbow now. I'm coming home this upcoming weekend, and hopefully seeing Where the Wild Things Are sometime soon. I wanted to see New York, I Love You, but now my interest has gone down for some strange reason. Oh well, until next time...

2 comments:

  1. I think the lack of prolific directors really hurt the festival. Not even the uneven amount of foreign films, just that a majority of them are obscure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard a lot of old people (who are clearly members of the FSLC) complaining about their seats, which were fine seats in the orchestra (at least for me). I feel like they are going to lose a lot of members this year, the members didn't seem to enjoy the line-up this year at all. They're going to need to do something really spectacular next year to get people to come. It was weird that the most prolific directors were Almodóvar and von Trier, I think. Maybe Haneke, too.

    ReplyDelete